Sunday, August 31, 2008

*WhAt ArE tHe OdDs?*

So Bryce and I decided to go for a Sunday drive in the rain and enjoy some time together...we were up on Wasatch driving east close to the mountain and all of the sudden the entire sky is lit up and lightning strikes the mountain right in front of us!!! It looked like the mountain caught on fire but then it disappeared...we couldn't believe it!!!

So it got me a little curious and I looked up some crazy facts about lightning...

*The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.

*There are an estimated 25 million lightning flashes in the United States each year.

*During the past 30 years, lightning has killed an average of 66 people per year.

*The primary cause of death from lighting is cardiac arrest.

*Lightning kills more people per year than tornadoes.



I love thunderstorms but lightning scares the crap out of me!!! :)

2 comments:

Dellany Higby said...

I love to watch the lightning from our back porch. We must live in some weird weather vortex because all the storms go around our house, and don't ever hit us. Makes for the perfect storm watching spot. But thanks for scaring me about lightning you jerk! That really is crazy, I don't think many people know that.

Jen said...

I love the rain gent, but not the lightning, My friend kerrian, her aunt and uncle got struck up in the mountains about 4 years ago they were with their kids and they were sitting on metal chairs by a tree, they both died and their kids all lived. Sad huh